
Hannah drove her bike off the porch and hurt her arm and leg so she had to come show me her injuries. I guess she needed some extra hugs and kisses for it to feel good.
While out driving the gravel roads close to home yesterday, memories came flooding back. Field after field of bean, cotton and rice farms. Arkansas ranks first among the six major rice producing states. The rice farms all have rice ponds...with water gushing out of the well that is ice cold. It is at least chest high and will take your breath away. Water so cold your teeth ache to taste it. Children have all ways loved it! Darlene and I would take the kids when they were young in the late afternoon and let them play. Of course you had to watch for snakes around the pond, but they never got in it since it was so cold and snakes hate cold. A Thermos of cold tea, a package of cookies, books to read, a blanket to set on and we were set for the afternoon. Every once in awhile yelling at Michael not to drown his sister.lol Things that didn't seem special at the time but are precious memories now.
The cotton fields didn't bring back good memories! Nothing quite like picking cotton on Saturdays when you wanted to be lazy and out playing like everyone else. Those tall plants would get you wet with dew in the morning, but were so tall you couldn't get any air in the heat of the day.
I hated getting my hands dirty...all ways had a thing about clean hands. Still do! I did get to keep my money, a lot of kids didn't. I couldn't spend it on candy but most anything else was ok. I thought I was rich. You could go to the five and ten and load up on cheep stuff. We went once a month. I think that's how I got my first lipstick...I know daddy wouldn't have spend money on it!

I hated getting my hands dirty...all ways had a thing about clean hands. Still do! I did get to keep my money, a lot of kids didn't. I couldn't spend it on candy but most anything else was ok. I thought I was rich. You could go to the five and ten and load up on cheep stuff. We went once a month. I think that's how I got my first lipstick...I know daddy wouldn't have spend money on it!
School started here Thursday. I think the boys were glad for it to start...but they wouldn't admit to it.lol Hannah really missed them. In a year she will start, I'm sure I will spend the day crying. Time marches on!
6 comments:
Rice! Growing there now? Shows how ignorant I am or isolated. One spawns the other.
Time sure is marching on - that youngin is growing like a weed. Its hard to believe the change I see in her.
You can send me her hair IF she ever gets a wild notion with a pair of scissors! Beautiful head of locks. Beautiful family all.
I haven't seen a gravel road in forever. We have very gungho contenders/candidates here - closer election time gets, the more newly surfaced roads appear.
How the old neighbourhood brings back memories. My friend Lynne, who still lives in the neighbourhood we grew up in spend a lot of time having our memories activated with one scene or event. She had a crush on me when we were in school from the third grade until the end of high school. I didn't even know it. Now years later, we a remember lots about our growing up, friends, and the old neighbourhood.
Don't have rice fields around here, just hills and grass and trees. But have gone through Corning up into Arkansas, and there is a lot of them around there.
Nice memories. Your Hannah is a beauty! My middle granddaughter is Hannah as well, but she is 13 already. Loves Justin Bieber! Of course!
Was a beautiful day today. Only 90 instead of 99F. But we need rain desperately.
Have a great week.
Hugs!
Renie
Your clean hands remark reminded me of my best friend's sister. My friend and her husband have a nursery and green houses. The sister often helps with the early planting, filling a tray of pots with potting mix, poking a hole in the center, and pushing a plant "plug" in it and pressing it in place. Kay wears surgical gloves! Can't stand dirty hands!
Me? I can't stand gloves!
Beautiful post, I too spend time with my Granddaughters when I can, We play dress up, beauty shop and do our nails. The little ones, Leila 2 and Kiara 5 will be here and I have shopping planned for them and me and mommy. I love to get my hands dirty, I love the feel of the fresh cool earth in them. I am nick Named Pip Pen by my Son in Law. I take it as a compliment. When I am outside, dirt flies from me when I walk.
Not really but it can when I am mowing.
OH to add. I wish you were here to go with me too, I am slowly building a rapport with the ladies, and the Men always say, "I love your Mustang". That probably brings back memories of their youth.
I hope to set with them one on one and get Best Christmas stories to put in booklet form for a Christmas gift to them.
Post a Comment