I can't say I enjoyed picking cotton, but there is good memories from those years. There was dew on it about every morning so you waited for it to dry, or you got wet since it was so tall. Beautiful fall days, stopping for lunch that you bought from home and visiting with friends and neighbors that were picking. Sometime taking a nap on a filled cotton sack while listening to the birds sing. To be truthful, I was young and did more playing than working. I can close my eyes and remember the smells...really good memories.
The only thing I hated about it was everyone put "cotton pickers friend" lotion on their hands. It (they said) helped the cotton to stick to your hands. I hated it! I've been a clean freak about my hands all my life. No way could I stand that lotion on me...every speck of dirt stuck to you!
But, then came the "Cotton Picker" machine and we were no longer needed. That machine did the work much faster but it sure does waste cotton. Now they have cotton that is about knee high and the machine covers the field quickly.
Yesterday my friend, Donna, and I went to a small casino about 70 miles away near the Mississippi river at West Memphis, Ar. We saw many fields of cotton ready to pick. It was a beautiful day. It was "Shrimp Day'' since it was Friday. We got there for lunch at 1:00 and was still there at 8:00 so we had a light dinner. Both were free and I tasted some dishes that were new to me but really good! I left with over $200.00 of their money so I was happy.
I am headed for the grocery store now. I hate to buy for just me. I wander around isles and can't find anything that looks good. Well, except the bakery dept. and I need to stay away from there! I hope your all having a great week end.
Loretta

5 comments:
Good memories of picking cotton. And winning $200 is a good thing! Enjoyed the post. Have a great evening and a nice Sunday.
An interesting post, Loretta. I had no idea what cotton picking was like. Don't think I would have liked that stuff on my hands either. Hope all is well with you.
Whooie! Good for you; now what will you buy with that fortune? I'd sure like to have some cottonseed. Never saw cotton growing but once. Wish I'd grabbed me a cotton boll now. Thought it was all grown overseas these days. Hope you have a winning streak of...say a few MONTHS!
Loretta I am with you each step of the way. I too hated picking cotton and more often than not took a nap on my sack. Jeanette sat on Mama or Daddys sack and was pulled around the field. Loved the lunches and exploring the delta nearby and getting in trouble for taking myself over to visit the colored family that lived in the tenant houses. It was a Love Hate relationship, Me and Cotton picking time.
To hear my DH talk about his having to pick cotton, when he was a child - it's a whole different story. LOL! I have never picked, just jumped out of the car a few times to grab a couple wads for a craft project.
Winner, wow! $200, you are one lucky person! If I ever won, I would probably faint. :-) Nice to have somebody to go and do stuff with!
Post a Comment