I've spend a very quite, lonely day. Pete had been home for all most a week but left last night for Ganesville, Fl. I have to get used to him being gone again! But, it's gave me time to think on what this day really means!
MEMORIAL DAY is a time when we can pause and give thanks to all those who have served our country--past, present and future. I am very grateful to these brave men and women who have made it possible for us to live in a land where we have the freedom to express our opinions and not be afraid to do so. RIP to all who have given their lives for the freedoms we all share.
While thinking on them I was reminded of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I found this link that tells much about the soldiers guarding it. I had no idea what everything means, it was very interesting to me. Hope you read it. What a wonderful bunch of soldiers!!
I hope you all had a great week end with your loved ones.
Loretta
http://www.stmaryssportsmen.org/stories/guarding_the_tomb.htm
3 comments:
Ohm I'm sorry you had a lonely Memorial Day weekend, Loretta. But I'm sure the grand kids were around for part of it.
You are right, Memorial Day is to reflect on those who gave the ultimate sacrifice so we can all be free. Thanks for the link, I will check it out. Have a great rest of the week.
Hugs,
Renie
Recently, I was in Belgium in the town of Ypres.(Ipres). It was largely destroyed in WWI. In fact on one day 100,000 residents were killed. The statistics for the Great War are staggering. Here there is the Menin Gate. A Monumental entrance to the town. Every day at 8:00 PM the traffic is stopped and an honour guard comes out and they blow the "Last Post". They have been doing this daily since 1927. Chiseled on the walls of the Menin gate are the names of 50,000 soldiers who not only did not come home but whose remains were never found or identified. They would have been blown to bits or ground into the muddy fields of battles like Passendale. It is overwhelming to experience. Many of these names are of Canadians who fought in Flanders and the North of France.
Thanks for visiting!
I Love your quote from Michaelangelo. I used to keep that posted on my wall in my classroom. Every year, there would be some kid who would ask what that meant. By the end of the year, they all understood!
Post a Comment