Saturday, November 20, 2010

Words.

Our youth are so deprived... They don't have a clue how colorful and descriptive the English language can be.... I said to my grandson "Don't get your nose out of joint".... His response "WHAT?" The more I tried to explain what it meant the funnier it got... Wonder how many other great saying are being lost?

I love to remember the ones Mama used---they were hum-dingers....now that too brings back memories.

I hate the loss of beautiful vocabulary....but I reckon we evolve to meet the need.

How about:

Fine as a frog hair split 4 ways.

Crooked as a dog's hind leg.

Butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

Clean as a hound's tooth.

Getting too big for your britches.

Going at it like killing snakes.

He moves like the lice is fallin' off him....(one of Dad's favorites).

He's got a tough row to hoe.

I didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

I'll knock you into next week.

I'm feelin' lower than a a snake's belly in a mud rut.

Jumpy as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Live and learn, die and know it all.

Madder than a wet hen.

Livin' high on the hog.

Loosing my religion.

Mad as a mule chewing on bumblebees.

Running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Slower than molasses trying to run uphill in January.

Staggerin' around like a blind horse in a punkin patch.

That's as good as a cold collard sandwich...(I love this one).

She's as purty as a speckled pup under a red wagon.

He is as un-lucky as a one legged man in a butt kicking contest.

Of course today kids are inventing a whole new communication technique in text words....they use symbols and numbers as code for alphabet letters. The world is changing and they are adapting. I just hope they never go snipe hunting twice!!

5 comments:

Valerie said...

An enjoyable post, Loretta. Like you, I wish we could hang on to the old sayings and a better form of English language. I remember one or two of your sayings, now I'm trying to recall those used by my parents. One that comes to mind is my mother's favourite 'I might be cabbage looking but I'm not green ... meaning of course that I shouldn't even try and pull the wool of her eyes. Have a great weekend.

Renie Burghardt said...

Ha! I had heard a few of your old sayings, but not all. Like-Butter my butt and call me a biscuit! Haha. I may have to use that one, one of these days.

Enjoyed your post. I am pooped from cleaning and getting ready for company that arrives Monday. Time to hit the hay! Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Karen H. said...

Good Morning Loretta. I enjoyed all the old sayings from days gone by. I have heard and even used some of the sayings myself. You are so right, todays kids, don't even know. I know when I say an old saying, they want to know what that means. LOL. Some of their todays language I have no clue as to what they are saying. Yes, the world is fastly changing. But I'm just afraid it's changing for the worse. Thats just my opinion tho. I have been Snipe Hunting many a times. LOL. I have told my girls they need to go. LOL. Take care my friend and I hope you and yours has a "HAPPY THANKSGIVING". May GOD continue to Bless you and yours.

Love and hugs,

Karen H.

possum said...

Lord-a Mercy! I've been busier than a one armed paper hanger, so I am going to try to do a quick catch up B4 I head outside for the last few days of warmth and finish of yard work for the year.
Glad to have a moment to check up on you and see all is well.
Love the old phrases - some I have never heard before, some my G-ma used.
Language - amazing!

Anonymous said...

Love it, One my husband uses is , "smells so bad he would stink a buzzard off a gutt wagon."
"Man you look like you got hit by an ugly stick"
I must post these on my blog, I love this post.
Sue